Monday, February 2, 2009

'Did I Miss Anything?' She Asks

From a fellow journalism teacher at another Christian college. Thought you'd get a chuckle out of it.

A student wrote today and asked, "Did I miss anything?"

Yes.

Today was the most important lecture of my life!
Jennifer, people wept. Some broke out in song. It was moving.

We had to call security.
A few folks asked that we give them last rites.
It will be impossible to ever teach another class like the one you missed.

Some say the room moved slightly; others claim that they heard the voices of loved ones urging them to take notes.

One young man from Detroit shouted, "Billy, come forth." (No one knew what that was all about but his eyes watered and we thought it best to let him go.)

The room is quiet now. The medics have left. The last network reporter is putting away his TV lights.

I have to file some legal documents for the federal judge. I'm not sure why. I had nothing to do with the thunder and the mild earthquake.

Wait. Someone is calling. It's a detective. I better go.

Read, Jennifer. Read your textbook. Submit homework Wednesday. Smile a lot. Be ready to do some freewriting Wednesday. Wear comfortable shoes. Know how to write a lead.

And, Jennifer, this next bit is most important.

Floss. Floss like your back teeth depended on it.

As for me, I just wish I could find my notes from today.

No comments: