Thursday, January 28, 2010

And the Song Goes On

As you know, I'm fond of stressing the stewardship aspect of writing. What you write, I often say, can continue to minister over long periods of time and over great distances, FAR beyond what you can do with a personal or speaking ministry.

This morning I received the following message from a pastor, referencing a chapter in a book which I wrote back in the early 1990s. Hope this is an encouragement to you--what you write WILL continue to minister over time and over distance. I look forward to your getting notes like this a long time in the future!


A few months ago Alice found a book in the local Thrift Store called "Helping a Neighbor in Crisis." I've used it a couple of times and benefited from its counsel. Today I went to the article "Imprisonment of a Family Member" and was pleasantly surprised to discover that YOU are the author!

Why did I go to this article? The local pastors found out yesterday that a halfway house is opening soon here in Flora. There is a duplex very near the center of town that is being converted to hold eight female offenders. It hasn't been publicized at all, which is probably just as well because the residents of this town will pitch a hissy fit once they find out.

I'm looking at it as a possible ministry opportunity. I cannot imagine any church in Flora willing to accept these women into their churches. But after 20 yrs in the USAF and 1 1/2 yrs with the IDOC I am not afraid of them.

Thanks for ministering to me through your writings.


JimF

No comments: