Thursday, February 9, 2012

What NOT to Say to an Editor

What NOT to say to an editor at a writer's conference:


What Not to Say to an Editor…


By Jevon Bolden


1. This is my first draft. I just wanted to see what you thought.

This could be your one shot. Consider asking about the industry, maybe share your idea, but please do not ask me to read a first draft. I am not attending the conference to conceptualize or develop. I’m looking for ideas to publish.

2. Before I tell you about my manuscript, I just want you to read the first few pages. No, no, just read.

Yes, this has happened. A writer practically put an index finger to my lips as I began to talk and said, “Shhh… Just read this. I know it’s going to blow you away.” Do I need to say what’s wrong with that?

3. I know this isn’t the kind of book you are looking for, but I wanted to talk to you anyway.

I need to use my time away from the office maximizing some kind of return on investment (ROI) for me and the company. Avoid scheduling meetings that have no chance of being win-win.

4. I have never heard of a book like mine.

This seems like a good thing, but it’s not. If there are no other books in the market like yours, there may be reasons for that. Instead, show how your book is similar to others, and then show how it’s different. Saying you know of no other book like yours says you don’t read much, you don’t understand the market, you don’t know what editors have to do to sell books, or you did not do your research.

5. I don’t have a written proposal. I just want to see what you think about my idea.

Great, but let’s do this at a meal. During one-on-ones I expect to meet with authors who are ready to be published.

6. You guys publish the weird stuff, right?

Try not to say anything that could be taken negatively. We publish verifiable genres, so it is off-putting to hear you think our stuff is weird. Instead, show me you understand what we publish and how that sets us apart from other publishers in our market. That would be nicer.

You demonstrate thoughtfulness and seriousness when you use these one-on-one meetings for what they are intended—to get a publishing deal. And if I do request your manuscript, please, please send it to me. You’d be surprised how many don’t.

Jevon Bolden has been in book publishing for eight years and has a bachelor’s degree in English with a minor in sociology from the University of Alabama. She is a developmental book editor for Charisma House and will take appointments at the Guild’s Writing for the Soul conference, February 16-19.

No comments: