Sunday, December 14, 2008

Modesto Reporter Chronicles Bush Shoe-Toss

A reporter for the Modesto (CA) Bee was there when the Iraqi journalist threw the shoes at President Bush. Here is an excerpt from his blog--to read the rest, click here.

Iraq Connection: Close up to the shoe toss seen round the world

First I saw President Bush duck to avoid a fast-moving black object – a shoe.

Then I realized one of the reporters behind me was shouting and, in a way, reloading, with a second shoe. Off it went, just as fast as the first.

I couldn't believe he had time to get a second one off.

A dog pile emerged on my left with Iraqis in blue suits wrestling with the shoe-hurler, Iraqi journalist Muntathar al Zaidi. Zaidi was moaning and moaning. He kept fighting and moaning while the Iraqis in the suits hauled him out of the room, and even then we could still hear him.

Bush laughed – or tried to laugh it off.

"That's what happens in free societies when people try to draw attention to themselves," Bush said.

Maybe. I'm sure there are some Americans who'd love to toss a shoe at Bush. Of course you wouldn't expect to see that in a closed press conference with professional journalists in the capital.

That's the snapshot. Let me walk you through what brought me there.

I woke up today on another embed, a little dusty and a little sunburned. My interview with a lieutenant colonel kept getting delayed, so far delayed that I couldn't go out with the soldiers again.

But it turns out that was a good thing.

No comments: