Monday, January 12, 2009

Seattle P-I May Sell or Die

From Editor and Publisher. This is an excerpt--to read the entire article, click here.

NEW YORK The Seattle Post-Intelligencer confimed Friday afternoon that it is being put up for sale by parent company Hearst, and will either close or possibly become a Web-only product if a sale is not completed.

"One thing is clear: at the end of the sale process, we do not see ourselves publishing in print," Steven Swartz, president of the Hearst Corp.'s newspaper division, said in a Web story.

Swartz addressed the P-I's newsroom at about noon Friday, flanked by P-I editor and publisher Roger Oglesby and Lincoln Millstein, Hearst's senior vice president for digital media, the P-I reported.

Hearst said in a statement that if the P-I is not sold within 60 days, it will "pursue other options" for the property. These include a move to a digital-only operation with a greatly reduced staff or a complete shutdown.

No comments: